Spring Water

Spring Water

Quotes

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Hellen Keller


Home is not where you live, but where they understand you ~ Christian Morganstern

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Adventure 9.3: Nancy, France

Sunday and Monday, April 24 & 25, 2011

Nancy ~ my favorite town of the trip. If you ever get the chance to go to France, make an effort to spend 2 days in Nancy. Nancy is not a big city, but it is heavenly. I arrived around 3, checked into the hotel (which gave me an upgrade…woohoo!), and headed to the historic district. The town square was magnificent. The buildings on all sides were in the same style, a statue in the middle, and huge water fountains at the corners. The square had several restaurants in it that all had outdoor seating. Then the little train came - the tourist train. For 6 Euros, I hopped on and took an hour spin around town. This was worth it because you got an overview and then could decide what to go back and see.

I walked through town lazily, taking my time, and enjoying the sunny weather. I had been flying around like a nut for 4 days and I was in relaxation mode. Yes, this doesn't happen often with me, but Nancy is a place to "stop and smell the roses." I saw the church, famous houses, the original town wall and entrance, and one of the most beautiful gardens I have ever been in. I spent much time in the garden before going to dinner.

  
I had done little wine tasting on my tour so tonight I decided to savor my dinner. I sat outside, drinking a Reisling, and listening to a band. Then I venture to dinner and had a salad with kish-pie for starters and a glass of Cotes du Tour Gris. Next I had a juicy steak with French fries and a Cotes du Rhone, for dessert it was a raspberry tart with crème and raspberry sherbet and a sweet dessert wine. I thoroughly enjoyed my terrace dinner and the people watching was good too. It was about this time that I hear "Pennsylvania". Being over here and not hearing much English you tend to pick up on and pick out the Americans quickly. As the couple got up to leave, I asked where they were from. They were from Pennsylvania; my old stomping grounds. We chatted for a bit about the Steelers, Joe Pa, and Nancy. It sure is a small world.
After dinner I visited the garden again and then spent some time practicing my night photography. Nancy is a town that takes you back and time. You wander around thinking that you should have a dress on with big bustle in the back, wearing a corset, and carrying a parasol.
Monday morning, I finally had a very very delicious crepe with raspberries and wandered the garden again.

My general thought on France:

- Nancy is a must visit. Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!
- It is dirty. Dog poo is all over the streets because no one cleans up after their dogs
- Paris has many bums and smells like pee
- Every woman wears crazy high heeled shoes that look so uncomfortable. Me? I had my Keen hikers on
- Everyone in Paris is romantic. Is this because of the stereotype that Paris is for lovers and that's why people go there? Or is it a cultural thing?
- France is very "multiculti" - all races and ages together everywhere.

And now for my tangent:

I went to France without knowing any French and expected to be able to function. I was hoping that people would speak English. In reality this is ignorant of me. I know only English. Let's set aside that fact that I am slowly learning German for a minute. Yes, it is true that English in the world business language. However, when people come to the US and they can't speak English, I think "you should learn English if you're going to come here." But as I travel around Europe, I do not know much besides English and expect that people can speak English to me. Is this a product of the US being dominant for so long? Note to self: I should at least try to learn so basics before traveling to Italy and beyond. I don't want to be the ignorant American.

No comments:

Post a Comment