Spring Water

Spring Water

Quotes

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Hellen Keller


Home is not where you live, but where they understand you ~ Christian Morganstern

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Adventure 9.2: The Rest of Paris & TP #5

Saturday and Sunday, April 23 & 24, 2011

Saturday was a busy day. My first stop was the Tuleries. This was a giant garden on the famous stretch between the Louvre and the Arc de Triomphe known as the Champs-Élysées. The gardens are beautiful. I went to the Louvre first to see what all of the fuss was about Mona Lisa. The line to enter was hours long, but I found it hard to believe that there was only 1 entrance to a place the size of the Louvre. I found an attendant and ask. Sure enough I could go to the Lions Gate entrance. There was no line at this entrance. I paid and was close to the Mona Lisa at this entrance than at the main entrance.

Paintings within paintings.
Now that is impressive!

The Louvre is quite impressed. The amount of art in that place is amazing. I saw many great paintings, but the first thing I saw that I was really impressed with was Nike. What a great statue with her wings stretched out. Next it was on to Mona Lisa. The crowd before Mona was crazy -people fighting and pushing. I won't bore you with her picture, but check out the amount of visitors. I can't say that I'm terribly impressed with Mona. I'm not quite sure what all of the fuss is about. Yes, admittedly I went to see her because she is famous. Guilty as charged. But I liked the picture of the head on the platter better. There are several more pieces of famous art that I saw. But why are these famous? Your guess is as good as mine. There are famous statues with parts missing like heads, arms, noses, etc. And these are the famous. However there are fully intact statues that are much more beautiful that are not famous. Alas, I must conclude that art, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beer holder...er...beholder.
Can you see Mona back ther?
What about the deer in the headlights?
 
My favorite part of the Louvre...the Egyptian section. I must have spent an hour here and was particularly drawn to the eyes of the Egyptians.


People outside the Louvre
pretending to be statues.

The Louvre is a labyrinth. It took me at least 30 minutes to find my way out. I followed the "sortie" signs, but walked in a circle at least once before passing all the same stuff again and finally getting out. The next stop was Notre Dame. It was beautiful, but extremely crowded. No chance of peace in that place. Loved the gargoyles though! Back to the hotel for a shower and quick make over. It was time for a night out on the town.

I was off to the ballet. I had never been to the ballet before and I was excited. I was all dressed up and getting ready to head out when it started pouring rain. Thankfully I had brought and umbrella with me. Thanks mom for sending one. I took the bus to the metro and made my way to the opera. I was planning on having a light dinner before the show. As I exited the metro I looked around thinking I should be able to see the opera house. I could not. All I saw was many SWAT teams and a large group of protestors. I'm not sure what they were protesting. I looked down at my ticket again and at the directions on them. This would be TP #5. I went to the wrong Opera house. They are not close to each other at all and I went to the wrong one. I had 45 minutes until the show. So much for dinner. It was back down to the metro and on to the right opera house. It took me 30 minutes to get to where I needed to be. No dinner for me.
The opera house was spectacular. I can't even describe it. Just check out the pictures. I had a glass of bubbly and then went into to watch the ballet. The dancers were very talented. I loved it! The story line was a bit bizarre. I can't say I'm great at interpreting these things but the first performance had to do with nuns and catholic school girls with secrets. The second had to do with a person not knowing if they were male or female. Yes, the story line was interesting, but this is art. However, the dancing was amazing.

Sunday morning I went to Notre Dame for Easter service. I sat in the church with about 2000 French girl and boy scouts. They helped give the service and parts were in English. It was an interesting service and not at all what I expect. I took communion in the Catholic Church. The Catholics say I'm going to hell. God says all are welcome at his table, "take, eat, this is my body broken for you."

Grab a Starbucks and head for the train station. Nancy is the next town on the circuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment