Spring Water

Spring Water

Quotes

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Hellen Keller


Home is not where you live, but where they understand you ~ Christian Morganstern

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Week 42: Conservators' Center - Lions, Tigers, and Wild West Oh My!

October 16, 2010

This week I had a partner in crime with me, Wild West! Wild West has made other adventure appearances, mainly on the Soapstoner Wine Tours. First we had Christmas Cantata practice, then to Tasu for Sushi (yum), then out for adventure!

Wild West and I drove to Mebane, NC to the Conservators' Center for "Howl With Us." This was a twilight tour of the facitily which offers a view of over 90 rescues exotic animals. Check out the website below. All of these animals have their own stories, some of which are heartbreaking.

http://www.conservatorscenter.org/

Our tour guide was Frank, awesome guide! He should have his own comedy show! The tour was over 2 hours long and we saw a plethera of animals, some of which Wild West and I had never heard of such as a genet and a binturong. The guide fed several of the animals as we walked around. The lions, tiger, and wolves oh my downed the meat in no time. The cool thing about this tour is that you are up close and personal with the animals. My face was only feet away from a giant lion, tiger, or fox oh my. You would never get this close in a zoo.

At the end of the tour, we asked to go back and try to make the wolves howl. Frank obliged and we all starting howling. We got some yips and roughs, but only 1 howl, which was amazing.

The other neat thing, is that you can sponsor an animal. If you sponsor and animal, you can go visit it once a week or month or however often you feel like it (within reason). You can also volunteer. How cool would that be.

Disclaimer: As much as I would like to say "I'm the circus lady that sticks her head in a lions mouth." these are still wild animals. And although I may do a lot of crazy things, I'm not stupid and don't intend on trying this at home.


Make adventure #39, your next adventure. It is completey fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment