Spring Water

Spring Water

Quotes

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Hellen Keller


Home is not where you live, but where they understand you ~ Christian Morganstern

Monday, October 11, 2010

Week 41: Virginia Creep Trail

Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Virginia Creeper Trail Bicycle Ride

The quick overview.
Got up at 5 AM to drive 4 hours to Damascus, VA. On the way, I somehow ended up on a dirt road and thought I might be taking a detour, but kept on driving. I was not lost; I never get lost. Turned out to be a beautiful scenic route and shorter than the highway that I took on the way home. I saw tons of Christmas Tree farms. Arrived and got my rented bike, met up with the group, and a van took us to Whitetop, NC to begin the trail. Road 17 miles down hill toward Damascus. The view were fabulous. Ate lunch, ate ice cream, road another 17 mile mostly flat with some uphill at the end in Abington, VA. Saw a tree house. No not a kids tree house. An adult tree house - I want one! Got to the end, saw a train. Took a van back to Damascus. Drove home arriving at 9:30 PM. Long day, my butt hurts, sleepy.



I saw a random Pepsi vending machine along the trail. The power wires were hung from trees across the yard to a trailer. Not a nice trail, but what looked like a junk yard.

The smells were magnificent. Fresh fallen leaves, creosote, apples from an orchard.
The temperature changes as you road the trail. A cool spot, a warm spot.
It was a ride for the senses.

The Virginia Creeper Tail History (just for my dad). See the following link: http://www.vacreepertrail.com/history/vacreeperhistory.htm
And just for GC and the WTG - a sign:

No comments:

Post a Comment