Spring Water

Spring Water

Quotes

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Hellen Keller


Home is not where you live, but where they understand you ~ Christian Morganstern

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Week 23: Painted Barns

June 5, 2010


When I woke up this morning I had no idea where I was heading. I did a quick search and found something of interest. I headed south past Jordan Lake to Cameron. Cameron is a small town of about 150 people according to the 2000 census. Famous people from Cameron, NC include the Hardy Boys and Shannon Moore – professional wrestlers. There are more antique shops than you can shake a stick at and zero stop lights. I stopped at the Market at Muse Brothers first. When I parked I noticed an out building. It was the old Cameron Jail built in the 1880’s. The nice lady at Muse Brothers opened it up for me to I could take a look inside. It was a tiny jail and an inmate would have had just enough room to lay down in. I took my picture behind one of those jailbird cutouts.
I wandered around the antique store and the nice lady gave me directions to the painted barns and said there was a good deli in town. I bought a coke-in-a-bottle and a Moon Pie. Now I’ve heard about Moon Pies but I had never tried one. I wasn’t crazy about it. I drove up to the Dewberry Deli which was beneath the hardware store and had lunch. The deli was charming with its old fashioned counter. I had a really good Rueben sandwich and a real cherry coke. By real cherry coke, I mean that they took coke and poured in cherry flavoring and put a cherry on top. Delicious!
I stopped at another antique store before heading out of town and finding the painted barn. I walked around taking pictures of the first 5 I saw. I had not dressed for the occasion. Walking around a farm field in flip-flops is not the smartest thing to do. I talked with a lady having a yard sale across the street and she told me that the buildings had been painted by the art council many years ago. She directed me to where I could find more. I drove another few miles and found 9 more. They were painted in all sorts of colors and designs. It was well worth the drive to Cameron.

Now for something completely random. I saw a horse painted like a cow on top of a building. Yes it was a fake plastic coworse.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting blog you have here. I recently returned to Durham from living in Las Vegas for the past 4 years. I shoot all the time myself and love photography, never leave home without my camera. Even if its just a quick run down the street. Never know what ya may miss! lol
    Anyways, I look forward to your post, I have a number of blogs up as well. I mainly link my photography of the world as i see it also, you know how it goes. We may cross paths one day while photographing the earth! I love meeting other photographers & seeing their eye on the world. Let me know if you'd be interested in shooting sometime.... Peace

    ReplyDelete