Spring Water

Spring Water

Quotes

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Hellen Keller


Home is not where you live, but where they understand you ~ Christian Morganstern

Monday, May 31, 2010

Week 22: Smokey Mountain High Part II

May 30-31, 2010

This morning I was up and ready by 8AM. On his way to work, the park ranger stopped by to wish me luck and safety on my hike today. Yesterday, I had stopped into the station after hiking to get some information on trails to hike today. Ranger H had directed me to some trails on the Tennessee side of the park. The first hike was to Chimney Tops Trail. It was a steep hike, but well worth the effort. The trail was busy. At the top people were lined up to climb the rocks. I started up the face and didn’t even get half way up until I turned around. There were people who either didn’t want to climb higher or were too scared, so they just sat down. These people made it even more dangerous, as you had to climb around them to ascend. I went back to the bottom of the rocks and was quite disappointed. I talked to some people who had taken the closed part of the trail. They said that way was easier. I ducked under the fence and start up a narrow trail. I was able to climb up this part. It was a little tricky and I cut my knee on the way up. The view was fantastic. It was a 360 view of all the surrounding mountains. This was truly Smokey Mountain High and proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. What a grand creation. I hung around up there for a while before heading back down. Getting back down was harder than going up. I was filthy by the time I made it down. I stopped at the bottom and rinsed off in the “crick”. I rinsed out my hair which exchanged the sweat for fish scum.

The second hike was to the Alum Bluffs Cave. This was a much easier hike. The trail followed a stream the whole way up. It led through an arch that was really neat. The top was a huge overhanging rock or bluff. It was quite amazing. Shortly below the bluffs was a nice look out. At this point all of the rhododendrons were blooming. It was beautiful. On the way down, I saw some people with Starbucks; I would have loved a Starbucks!

Total mileage for the day: 8.6 miles.

For dinner, I had noodles and the J.E.M.S invited me over for dinner and more campfire stories. I had some potatoes and zucchini. It was very good. “S” raved about Rocky Mountain Oysters during dinner. “M” and “E” went to do more fishing. Still no fish, I guess “M” will be buying lunch today. While they were gone, I learned all about “J” and his Tupperware. Other topics of conversation were: “E’s” giant sleeping bag that prevented the J.E.M.S from bringing other supplies, “J” uses a gallon of soy-sauce a week, and “S” reckons that he is hungry for some vittles, ya’ll. Don’t worry guys; you made the book numbers 43 through 46.

Last night it started raining at about 3AM. My tent kept me dry and it only dripped a little in one corner. I packed everything up and stopped over to see the J.E.M.S. Their mansion tent had not kept them dry. It rained on them all night. I headed home and saw the sign below on the way. I wasn’t in the door 5 minutes until I was in the shower. After 3-days without a real shower, I was a little ripe.


No comments:

Post a Comment