Spring Water

Spring Water

Quotes

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Hellen Keller


Home is not where you live, but where they understand you ~ Christian Morganstern

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Week 20: Myrtle Beach, SC

May 14-16, 2010



This week I decided to relax and spend my weekend at the beach reading a book. I'm not much of a beach person. I usually go just once a year. My weekend went as follows:


1.) Drive down I-95 and see way too many signs for "South of the Border". Those of you from the area know what I'm talking about. "South of the Border" is a '70's theme park turned bad (for more information see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_of_the_Border_(attraction) ). The billboards say things like "Pedro's weather forecast. Chili today, Hot Tamale"

2.) Drive through the country and discover a little town called Lakeview. What a gem! This town had the neatest swamp. It’s finds like this that make the adventure worth while. As Budda said “It is better to travel well then to arrive.” I completely agree!
3.) Arrive in Myrtle Beach, check in, and go running out onto the beach and take a little stroll.
4.) Read a book (since that is what I came to do). It's called "The Two Lives of Miss Charlotte Merryweather" and it's about a girl who drives a New Beetle. Very fitting I think...don't you?

5.) Day two: Get a sun tan. I lounged on the beach, got a tan, read my book, and found about 10 neat shells that I think are called whelks. It's the fanciest shell I have ever found on the beach.

6.) Put on a hippie dress and go listen to some beach music. People watch: bikers, mullets, tattoos, ZZ Top beards, people who shouldn't be wearing that...all smashingly entertaining.

7.) What the fireworks from my balcony. Ooooohhhhhh….Ahhhhhhhh…..
8.) Day three: Get a sun tan. Try to cover the 2 burnt streaks on my back that I missed with sun block yesterday. See a SHARK!!!!!! What? Huh? How exciting!!!! The lifeguard called everyone out of the water. And of course I have to check out what's going on. It's a shark swimming about 15 yards out from the shore. The lifeguard says it's about 4-5 ft long. You can tell it's a shark because you see 2 fins (I think you see the fin and the tail). If it's 1 fin, that's a dolphin. I never new! The shark hangs out for about 15-20 minutes before disappearing. COOL!!!!!

9.) Drive home. See a giant bell. Could it be a contender for the worlds largest? Nope, not even close. That claim to fame belongs to Russia.
10.) See more South of the Border signs and about 10 signs advertising Wigs. Really? I didn't know there was a high demand for wigs.

And finally what would the adventure be live without an injury? Yes, I managed to slice my foot on a shell at the beach to the point that it was bleeding. I also have several cuts on my ankles from shells getting washed up on the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment