Spring Water

Spring Water

Quotes

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Hellen Keller


Home is not where you live, but where they understand you ~ Christian Morganstern

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Week 25: Wild Horse running to the 1812 Overture

June 19, 2010


On my journey to the coast today, I saw some peculiar things: a tracker on top of a post and a giant gorilla. I was headed to see the wild horses today. In Beaufort, you can take a ferry to an island called Shackleford Banks. Once on the island, you can just wander around trying to find some horses. The island is 9 miles long and I didn’t have time to explore the whole thing. I walked around for about 20 minutes before seeing the first group of 4 horses. One was black and the other ones were a darker brown. A baby was with this group. I was surprised by how close you could get them. I could walk within 20 feet of them until they would slowly walk away. Once they started to leave, I followed them. At one point, mama horse must have thought that baby horse was not moving away from me fast enough. Mama horse hit baby horse in the butt with her nose. I was amused!
After that, I walked through the thicket trying to find more horses. For some dumb reason, I had worn my flip flops. I was thinking island, beach, flip flops. Well, there is only sand around the edges…duh! Oh well! As I walked through the weeds, a bird started to dive at me! I was ducking and jumping! Crazy bird! Then it hit me, “I must be near its birdy nest.” I walked a little quicker. I had to finagle through some brush and into another weeded area where even more birds were after me. They were quite unhappy! Somewhere along the way I either stepped in bird poo or a bird pooed on the top of my foot. Gross! I walked up a big sand hill for a view. I went the hard way and had a heck of time climbing up the sand. However, from the top I could really see quite a ways. I saw another group of horses! Climbing crazy hill = totally worth it.
I found my way to the next group of 7 horses. This group also had a baby with it. The baby was quite playful. There was alos a beautiful horse with a blonde mane. I snapped a bunch of pictures and then headed to walk back along the beach. I had missed my 2 PM ferry, so I need to make sure I was back for the 3 PM ferry. I was surprised at how warm the water was and it was quite clear also. I might have to repeat this trip at some point. Once I was back in my car I realized how fried I was. I headed toward home and the sun was still beating on my through the window. By the time I got to the amphitheater, I was a tomato! I had stopped at the store to buy some aloe to coat my aching shoulders and back.
The next stop was listening to the symphony at an outdoor concert with the Soapstoners. I had never been to see a symphony before. It was very relaxing and enjoyable. I missed the partying that occurred before I got there, but I had a glass of wine and relaxed as I listened to American the Beautiful and the 1812 Overture while the moon hung overhead.
Happy Father’s Day to the Worlds Greatest Dad! The most important lesson that you ever taught me was “You can never have too much toilet paper.”

No comments:

Post a Comment