Spring Water

Spring Water

Quotes

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Hellen Keller


Home is not where you live, but where they understand you ~ Christian Morganstern

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Week 3: Hillsborough, NC

January 16, 2010


In light of the fact that my bum is still bruised and sore, I thought I would take it easy today. On the agenda, a visit to Hillsborough, NC. The plan, well I didn’t have one. I wasn’t sure what I would find if anything. What I did find was a cute and very historic town. As I drove through town, I saw more of the famous-historic-people signs than I’ve ever seen in one town before.


The first stop was the Hillsborough Town Hall. The sign said the Meeting Room was to the left. The Meeting Room was a barn. Historic? I think so and it looked like it was still in use. Town Hall was built in 1754. There are several buildings on the property including a little well house. The main building had a sunroom filled with old bottles.


Leaving the Town Hall, I found that there was a house with a sign out front that said “Timarand c.a. 1903.” I drove a little further and found another sign “Heartsease c.a 1770” and another “Webb House c.a 1800.” As I drove up and down all of the side streets, there were many houses. All of which were over a hundred years old. Some houses were huge mansions where the wealthy probably lived like the “Judge Gattis House 1908” and other were for the common folk like the “Mason’s Ordinary c.a. 1754.” There was also a dog house in a tree along the way…weird.


I stopped by the visitor’s center located in the “Alexander Dickson House c.a. 1790.” I got some great information from the attendant, a guy from Iowa. He told me to drive down the road a few blocks to see the slave cemetery. The Margaret Lane Cemetery (The Old Slave Cemetery) was the burial ground of many slaves. There were few grave markers, however you could see many of the sunken plots throughout the cemetery.

I also found out from the visitor’s center attendant guy that William Hooper was buried in a local cemetery. Who is William Hooper? Mr. Hooper was born in Boston, became a lawyer and politician. His claim to fame was that he signed the Declaration of Independence. He died at age 48. He was buried in a creepy cemetery. I visited the cemetery to say hello to Mr. Hooper and Mrs. Hooker and stopped by the Hillsborough Museum.


After leaving I drove through the other side of town and saw the Shops at Daniel Boone. It had lots of antique shops and some interesting signs and gadgets. In the winter, not many of the houses are available to tour. A repeat visit may be in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment